Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Philly.net - Code Camp 2014 - Day 2

This is continuation of my earlier post about day 1. I am following the same format of What I expected and What I got sections

Explaining, demonstrating and using the OpenStack.Net SDK By Don Schenck

What I expected

Cloud is really amazing when we think about how the internal system management software modules work together to provide on demand scaling. OpenStack gave me answer how it might be. Unfortunately I never had a chance to experiment it. So I thought there will be at least sometime dedicated for demonstrating how to setup a cloud using Open stack. Then about the .Net SDK which can be used to manage the cloud.

What I got

Unfortunately I was not able be there in the session from beginning. So when I entered in the hall, he was telling about the .Net SDK part. As of my expectation he did it well. But there was not much audience. Only 8 persons were there.

Beyond the basics - A Deep dive into the AngularJS works By Todd Snyder

What I expected

As per the name no basics. Only the internalsof how AngularJS works.

What I got

He started with SPA architecture and slowly explained the concepts of AngularJS such as Templates, Directives, Controllers , DataBinding, Modules etc...Then he showed in the PPT how certain things can be done such as databinding , $apply etc...It was not much interesting to me so went for brunch.

Entry level app development for Windows 8 By David Voyles

What I expected

I never planned this session. I just sit for this session because there was enough seats so that I can sit and have brunch. I really don't like to eat food by holding the plate in my hand. When I sit, I thought let me listen to something which I don't know also for any tips and tricks he may share from his experience.

What I got

It was demo time when I entered and he was showing great demos. He showed some stunning websites which are coded using HTML and Javascript and runs by leveraging the graphics acceleration feature of IE 11. Those sites are heavy graphics enabled sites using the WebGL technology. He was trying prove that, we can build really big apps / think clients using HTML/JS combination and render in browser itself.

Google glass with C# By Mike Heydt

What I expected

Since google declared that the same OS can be used in everywhere and any device, I was curious how they provide the API or build the programming model. Each and every device will differ so it may end up like so many if conditions in the code or if we think from the OS side it may need to deploy libraries which may not be used at all in particular device. As most of the sessions are having code demos, I was interested in C# code which can be deployed into the glass.

What I got

First of all, he has a glass and he wear the glass all the time. He showed the physical architecture of the glass such as where is the CPU, battery etc...Then explained the UI design principles. Mainly we need to use cards instead of activities. We can tap and slide using our fingers on the right side of the glass. The major draw back I saw it the inability to debug using simulator. We must need a hardware glass to do test or debug our program. So I decided to get out from the session.

Restful routing in ASP.Net MVC By Khalid Abuhakmeh

What I expected

Again this is a session which I didn't plan to attend. But something which I am interested as there was big fight between me and rest of the team regarding developing an ASP.Net MVC web site in the ReSTful way. That site was supposed to manage our own cloud like server environment which consists of database servers, processing servers, queues etc....All those things can be viewed as resources so I was arguing for ReSTful MVC page urls such as www.site.com/queuetype/2/queue/3 to point a resource and do the contextual operations inside it, instead of operation wise screens such as www.site.com/ListQueues?queuetype=2&queue=3 or www.site.com/AddQueue. It was difficult to make them understand and finally I gave up.

What I got

I came to know about a really nice library named RestfulRouting. Some more pros to provide as proof for my approach towards developing website using the ReST principle if we the requirement is to control resources.

WCF is dead. Long Live WCF! By Michael Montgomery

What I expected

I really got confused about this title. May be he will tell some new ways to leverage WCF features or tell about extensible featuires and all

What I got

He kind of proved that the way we are using WCF for distributed computing / SOA is not the best way. He is against all most all the configurations in WCF. According to him the WCF config values should be determined by the program not by the person who deploys the app. Really speaking last week we were struck with production issues which were caused by wrong values given by the deployment teams. We suggested to use server with minimum 32GB and they installed in a 6GB server and started complaining about the application. Ideally if there is 6GB of RAM in the server the application should have worked at all. Similarly we used to receive so much issues because the deployment teams will change even the protocol of WCF binding. Simply from netNamedPipe to NetTcpBinding without any consultation and when it fails the complaint will be filed.

This gap can be eliminated if the application (WCF layer) can adjust itself with the system. But it really needs homework in the area of load testing and leverage the WCF extensible features. He even showed how the pseudo code for such a WCF communication app can be built.

Knockout.js (Anti)Patterns By Tim Plourde

What I expected

More details about internal working of Knockout.JS and the anti patterns

What I got

Great tips how to avoid common problems in Knockout.JS. As its very easy people tend to develop very fast but soon it will result in performance and maintainability issues. He even have a nice site where he explain everything. I was really impressed the way he presents. He just goes to his site and explains from there. He also explained about knockout linting where we can easily analyze our code for what went wrong.

Overall it was a good experience. Variety of food items for the buffet.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know you can shorten your long links with Shortest and get dollars for every visit to your short links.